This year, we decided we wanted to plant a garden. Tyler's grandma wasn't using all of her garden space, so she graciously let us plant stuff in her garden. It was a great first experience for us. I grew up with a garden and remember endless Family Home Evenings pulling weeds amongst the corn and beans. So, I figured between grandma's green thumb and my parents' knowledge we could come up with a decent garden. What we didn't realize was how much time we would spent (or not spend) tending to the garden. We started out planting red onions and sugar peas. The peas turned out surprisingly well and everyone loved them. The onions, however, left a little something to be desired. Note to self regarding onions: water more, plant closer together and leave until August. We then planted cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon and yellow zucchini. The tomaotes just took off, as you can see in the picture below. They were a great success!!

The cucmbers however, ran into some snags. We planted them from seeds and learned later that you really should plant them from starters. Only one cucumber plant came up from the six that we had planted. We still got a good crop from the one, but could've used one more plant.
Tyler pulled the cucumber plant out yesterday since there wasn't any cucumbers growing.
The yellow zucchini also took off and we have gotten a bounteous harvest from the two plants we planted. I think one would suffice next time.
We also planted three watermelon seeds, but as you can see, only one plant came up and only one watermelon grew from that plant.
Overall, our gardening skills need some improvement, but we learned a lot and also had some great success. We definetly couldn't have done it without Grandma Linge's and Aunt Sue's help with the watering and partaking of the vegetables.
2 comments:
We also learned a little from our garden. It is fun when you get produce from things you planted! You should try cantaloupe. It produced a lot of yummy fruit! We didn't have any luck with cucumbers either. We also found peppers produce really well. Except for the weeds, it is fun to have a little garden. Glad you were able to enjoy having one!
I'm coming out of hiding. I am your official blog stalker. I'm happy for your garden, and have to laugh a little bit because my cucumbers WENT CRAZY. I mean crazy! They grew fat (I'm sure you've heard from Jamie) and BIG and there were too many.
Anyway, nice to officially meet you (kindof) and I'm glad you had garden success.
Post a Comment